Monday, August 30, 2010

Mama's baby grew up to be an excited college student.

What a weekend...and I'm including last Thursday in that! The time finally came...Alyssa is officially a student at Grand Canyon University, a happy and excited student. As much as it is hard to let her go, it does a heart good to see your child fully embrace what she's facing.

We got the car packed up before 7a.m. last Thursday so we could drop Becky off to school on the way to GCU. Each step was bittersweet for me...packing, watching Alyssa and Heidi hug goodbye, taking a picture of Alyssa and Becky outside Becky's school, stopping for coffee with Alyssa...ahhh! My tears want to spill just thinking about it.

Here's Alyssa with her coffee :)

I had no idea there could be so many tidbits of advice to give in the twenty-five minute drive there. I wonder how many other parents crammed in all the last bits of advice like I did. We covered safety, relational issues, studies, etc!

I am so impressed with GCU. From the moment we drove onto campus and throughout the day, the staff and students were so helpful! We never felt lost or wondered what to do next. They do communicating very well!

We waited in a long line outside to get Alyssa's room assignment. It's August...translate that to a typically hot, sunshiny, muggy day! I know someone prayed for good weather (and later on, I found out I was right)! It was still warm, but overcast, and while we waited in line, it rained hard! We loved it. In AZ, that makes for a perfect summer day. We just happened to be standing behind someone who picked up the big umbrella that GCU provided, and he carried it as the line moved along. I'm not talking a small, handheld umbrella... this was one of the big, semi-stationary ones. Yeah, I wasn't going to stop him. My hair was getting flat, and we stood under it with him! ;)

We eventually made it to the front of the line, which put us at the table where a GCU student handed Alyssa her dorm room assignment. My heart instantly went into a tug-of-war battle as she took the papers. It is difficult to let go!! Fortunately that battle was a private one in my heart, and I didn't reach across the table handing the papers back! ;) So far so good, no tears spilled yet that morning.

We got to the dorm, walked to the second floor, and found Alyssa's room, with her name on the wall outside of it. That's when I lost it. It sank in...her new home! Outside of mine. Even though I knew this was as it should be, that just didn't feel right! Hugs all around!

The day was good. I helped Alyssa get moved in, there were parent meetings, and one of the best times of the day was the Invocation service. GCU is a Christian university, and to listen to the faculy speak from their hearts about caring for the students was awesome. Also awesome was the worship led by "The Gathering", which is the student worship band at GCU. There is something about coming together and praising our great God that feels so good and right. It is a great way to start out the school year. I know God will do a masterpiece of work among the students there this year.

Alyssa wanted to go to a university that didn't make students fill out a statement of faith. I really respect that. She and I both know that wherever you attend, perfection isn't to be found. She wanted to be with believers and non-believers, though, to have more opportunity to share Jesus. This is what I love about GCU...nothing is forced on the students, attendance at chapels and worship services attendance isn't required, no dress code, etc. The faculty loves the Lord, and they intend on showing that to the students. I've seen it every time I've been on campus. There are Christian student leaders on every floor of the dorm. They offer a small group for whoever would like to attend. There are opportunities for service, worship, etc. I think the leadership at GCU has the heart of Jesus...they really care about the students eternal well-being, and have extended an invitation to the students to know Jesus. I am so excited to see how God works this year.

Enjoy your year, Alyssa...your family loves you very much!

No comments: