Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Entirely faithful...

I read a verse this morning that really reflects how I feel. The second part of Psalm 89:8, "Where is there anyone as mighty as you, O Lord? You are entirely faithful."
No matter how difficult some days have been in the last few months and even couple years, I've seen God's goodness in them too. I am convinced that there is nothing God can't touch, heal, help, speak calmness to, and strengthen. He is faithful every day.

Becky started high school this year, which means she just completed the junior high years. Yep, they were filled with the things junior high is filled with...friendship problems, drama, peer pressure, choices, homework stresses, etc...and yet, through her difficult times I saw God working in her life. There is nothing so beautiful and great to watch as this. It's my favorite part of being a parent.

When her freshman year started, at a new school, with new people, I prayed that God would give her a good friend (or two), that like her, even in the midst of all the struggles, temptations, setbacks and triumphs that life and school presents, is growing in their relationship with Christ. So when the first day came that I dropped her off in front of the school, I watched her walk up the school's front sidewalk, guitar in one hand, and her bright yellow backpack slung across her back. I had one of those moments where I knew I was letting her go, and at the same time, waiting with faith to see how God would answer my prayer for her. And by the way, one of my favorite parts of my mornings is watching her walk into school with her guitar and yellow backpack...she is so cool! :)

I could see from day one or two that God heard my prayer. He answered even more than I prayed. He is such a WOW factor for me...I love seeing him work! Becky told me that there is a group of kids from school that go to a church in Phoenix called "Catalyst" (http://ignitephx.com/). She sat with them at lunch and after a couple more days she told me that she wanted to check out their youth group at their church. Well, we are used to driving a distance to church, and this is just about as far in the other direction...lol. I don't mind, though, and I am convinced that God wants us to be united with other believers.

We took Becky and a friend of hers to Catalyst's youth group service a few Sunday nights ago. Jim, Heidi, and I walked in with them since they didn't know anyone and we were a couple minutes late. Right away a youth group leader showed them a place to sit, and another leader asked if we wanted to hang out. We sat in the back and thoroughly enjoyed what we saw...the fellowship of knowing Christ is good anywhere! For now, Becky wants to go every other Sunday night since she likes going to youth group at our church in Anthem on Sunday nights, too. Totally okay with me!

Which brings me to yesterday and today... yesterday when I picked her up after school, she told me that right after I dropped her off yesterday morning, a couple of her friends from Catalyst asked if she wanted to meet with them at the pole for prayer. I could tell from the way she was telling me that she was glad she did. Even though, when she looked around her, kids were pointing and laughing at them. It was obvious she and her friends were praying. But, for me, the best part of the conversation with Becky was when she told me, "It made me happy." God says if you lay down your life for His sake, you will find yours. I think this is the truth what Becky experienced yesterday.

She told me that they were meeting for prayer again this morning in the same place. I was curious to know which pole in the school yard she was talking about. When we drove up this morning, she pointed it out to me. This pole is right beside the main sidewalk and closest to the front doors of the school. Every student passes within three feet of that pole there when going into school every morning. I am so excited by Becky's courage, her friends' courage, and about their deepening, real relationship with the One that offers life at its best! God is so faithful...I can't wait to see how God keeps answering my prayer.

No comments: