Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ronald MacDonald House

Nap time yet? I got up at 5:30 this morning to drop Jim off at the bus stop (the truck is in the shop...the fuel guage is stuck on full! Or maybe it is like the widow's oil jar that never went empty...hey, one can hope!!) and head on down to the Ronald MacDonald House. What a great organization. Our church is in charge of decorating and painting one of the rooms. It was fun walking around this morning checking out the progress of the different rooms and talking to the people in charge of each one. One group consisted of two parents and a good friend of a twenty year old girl who died of brain cancer a year ago. She had been dealing with cancer since the age of nine and it finally took over last year. So, they were in the room decorating in memory of her. It was really good talking to them..very touching. There is always a really neat spirit surrounding a situation like that. We all gathered at 11:30 for a good bbq lunch put on by Walmart. (See, Walmart isn't so bad! I know a couple people who have boycotted that store...to each his own ;) That store is too close to my house to boycot! Way too convenient! Okay, I'm writing this post as if I have A.D.D. Hmmm...Back to the point...). I sat in the sun and ate and worked on my farmer's tan and talked to other volunteers. It was so enjoyable--the whole experience. Tomorrow we are going to go back to finish up the room. I'll post a couple pictures...most likely! I will at least write about it.

I would really like to get a group of kids together in September or October and collect donations for the house. I got the phone # of a husband and wife who volunteer regularly there, and she said she would give me the latest at that time for the needs in the house. It would be great to take a load of kids down there and have them get involved with this. Don't you think? I'd like to do this in memory of our Carly as a way to celebrate her life. And I think it is so good for kids to see life outside of their own home life.

It's been a good day :)

No comments: