Friday, April 23, 2010

All in a day's time...

Today has been a full day! I want to write about it before this forgetful mind files it away into a lost file!
First of all, today was my Grandma's memorial service. I couldn't make it to Vancouver to be there, and my heart has been in kind of a tender,missing her spot today. My dad asked me to write a few things about her so that he could read it at her service. Here are my thoughts about my Godly Grandma...
"When I think about Grandma, or more affectionately, Gram, the first thing that comes to mind is her faithful prayers for her grandchildren. She has taught me about God's power in prayer as there were days I'm certain I could feel her prayers being lifted for me.
What also comes to mind is the love she had for all her grandchildren. She cared about how we were doing and her letters reflected that. She loved honesty in our response to her concern, and didn't want well-crafted answers! She cared about our well-being, our marriages, and for her precious great-grandchildren.
Enjoying the simple things with her was easy, whether it was a walk in the garden looking at the flowers, playing a good game of Scrabble, or sitting with her while the kids performed for her at the piano. She knew how to take pleasure in these times...I will miss her beautiful smile and her soft chuckle.
Grandma, you carried yourself with dignity and grace. I can imagine that you were ushered into heaven in the same manner. Thank you for your love that was so genuinely expressed to us. Heaven will be a sweet reunion...until then I want to carry on some of the qualities that were so beautifully you!"
With Gram's memorial service in the back of my mind, I went on about my day. I think God was watching out for me in extra measure today. Today, quite possibly, has been one of my favorite Fridays that I have spent with Alyssa this school year (she has Fridays off from school). She is a great conversationalist, easy to hang out with, and is growing into quite an impressive, young woman!
Alyssa and I joined Jim for lunch today at a cool little deli, Cheese N Stuff, near his office. Jim had been telling me how great this place was, and it lived up to every bit of his description and then some! The sandwiches were absolutely wonderful. I knew as soon as I walked into the place that I would love it. The fresh deli-meats smelled good, and the atmosphere brought back memories of eating at little delicatessens in Germany. It's a small deli. The only tables are three picnic-sized tables spaced a little bit apart. The feeling of eating together with others created a really relaxed atmosphere. Behind the tables, shelves were lined with jellies, crackers, and drinks, many from Europe. It was fun to pick jars and bottles up to read the labels of what exactly they were. This is a must-visit-again place!
When the lunch hour was up, Alyssa and I dropped Jim off at work, then went to the state capitol building in downtown Phoenix. Governor Jan Brewer signed a state law today that would enforce stricter immigration laws. There has been lots of protesting (and some support) going on at the capitol building, so Alyssa and I went to go have a look. For me, an issue sinks in more when I can see it instead of just reading about it. In Alyssa's government class at school the students and teacher have been having discussions on this current event.
We found parking easily, and then walked over to the grounds of the state capitol building. There were many news truck, helicopters hovering overhead, a huge police presence, many protesters, and a few supporters. Both the protesters and supporters of this new bill were passionate in their stances. Emotion levels were high...lots of anger, shouting, and some tears. The few supporters of the bill were rounded up inside an area taped off with yellow police tape, and heavily guarded with police and even volunteer security people that were protesters against the bill.
I don't have a particular stance on this issue. I know there are problems on both sides and this problem took a long time to create. It will take a long time to fix, if ever. What really hit me is that we live in a FREE country, and this type of protesting is not allowed in many other countries. I am thankful for my freedom. It is a huge blessing to live in a free country where opinions and beliefs can be freely expressed.
Another thing that touched my heart is that one day, and it will only happen when we are spending eternity in heaven, we will all live at peace with one another! What a wonderful atmosphere that will be! To think that peoples from every nation will be united, bowing in adoration to our Almighty God, our heavenly Father...wow...I can't wait.
On a totally different note, Heidi has been asking for pet rats for some time now. This week, she and I did a lot of research on them...I love the internet!! I have never wanted rats....never...ugh! After my reading, though, I have come to think that these little animals have possibilities! They are smart, love people, can be trained, and are fun to watch. I think what really got me was one internet site that said, "You know you have found a loving rat when it will lick your hand." Weird, because I look at that sentence now and think, "That's really gross!". Not too many worries, though, because they are supposed to be really clean animals. Blah, blah, blah.
We now have two female, baby rats! When Alyssa and I got home from observing the protest, we picked Heidi and Becky up from school, and went to see the rat owner that I found on Craigslist this morning. Heidi was so excited! She named her babies Isabelle and Jayde. I have already caught her calling Isabelle, "Izzy"!
I am proud of how far her thirty dollars in allowance money went...two rats, a nice cage from the thrift store, a bag of cat food (for the rats!), and cage supplies! Jim has warmed up to the rats, and right now is building a Legos sleeping quarters for them with Heidi. Designers at work!

No comments: