Monday, August 10, 2009

Today was Alyssa's first day of her senior year. I am a little mind-blown about how fast the time has gone. And, awestruck. It is a beautiful thing to watch her obedience to her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. To see her surrender, to want more, to love and accept the challenges of growing deeper in her faith. To see God unfold His grace into her heart and life. We have an amazing and wonderful God. I simply could not have asked for or imagined something this great.

Right now, Heidi is sitting on my bed "playing" Alyssa's violin. I would tell her to put it away, but she is having fun with it! So, for the next few minutes I will enjoy the notes she is actually hitting and put up with the ones that are shrieking in pain beneath the bow!

She's turning ten tomorrow...ALREADY....and she just asked me, "Hey Mom, wanna stay up until my birthday??" Man, I feel forty-four, because I cannot even entertain that thought!

I am trying to figure out if I am too tired to write about CIY...but this needs to happen before the memories fade. That was one awesome week! I had no idea that it would turn out as great as it did. I was touched by so many different moments, convicted by the teaching, felt freer than ever in worship, and so much more. I loved the way God's light shone out so brightly through the speakers. I loved getting to know the teens more, the late night conversations with them, the tears and prayers we shared. I loved that even though I felt exhausted by day four, I still wanted to do more and experience more. I am convinced that there is no better place to be than where God is.

One of the nights that really got to me was the night we wore wristbands with a couple sins written on the underside of them. During the session, we were handed another band which we used to attach the two bands together, creating handcuffs, illustrating how sin binds us, traps us, keeps us from experiencing the freedom God intends for us. We wore them until close to the end of the session.

To me it illustrated so well what sin does in our life. At first, when my wrists were cuffed together, I immediately didn't like how I felt limited and a little stuck, but I thought, "It's okay, I can handle this..". Just like I feel when I start to let sin into my life, knowing it's wrong, but "hey, it's okay, I can handle this!". After about five minutes of wearing the cuffs, I began to ache and had to reposition myself to find comfort. It got me through another five minutes or so, but I was beginning to really feel the discomfort of it. After that, I just plain couldn't stand it. I was uncomfortable, achey, and felt locked in. Just like what sin does....after awhile it does not feel good at all, and you feel hopeless and painfully locked in its grasp.

Thankfully, God, in His rich grace and mercy, does not desire for us to be stuck. When it came time to break the bands at the end of the session, it was so freeing to be able to MOVE and to not be hindered in worship. I immediately remembered the lyrics to the Chris Tomlin song and it took on even more meaning...
"How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed
My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, Amazing grace".
I'm pretty sure we ended up singing this song that night, also. And, again the next day during the morning session. It was so moving to hear that many voices, about 1400, sing those words. I can't wait to get to heaven one day and experience true and full worship...we are getting just a small and good taste of it here.

I better close it down for the night.... :)

No comments: